open relays? [was] Re: OT: word play (was Re: [:BLIP:]Re: [Gllug] Linux based banking)

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu May 30 12:10:46 UTC 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:26:42AM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:

> And Jim, your mailhost appears to be open....

I am not sure what you mean by open?  If you mean it is an open relay I
am fairly certain that it is not I have been studying Postfix RFC 821
and 1869 because I think mail servers rock and I want to do it properly.
I will admit though that I have a very long way to go before I can call
myself a competent mail admin.  I just ran this test to check stuff like
that.  I have changed the names to protect the innocent.

$telnet to my_mail-server.nice_people _who_let me_squat_my_box.net 25
ehelo mumia.lateral.net
250 mumia.lateral.net
mail from:evilspammer at evilspam.com
250 Ok
rcpt to:victim at victim.org
554 <victim at victim.org>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied

This test and the responses from what I understand is proof of the fact
I have closed my relay.  though I will be the first to admit that I have
a long, long way to go before I can call my self a proper sys admin.

I have also checked the output of postconf -n against the postfix docs
and that seem to be OK too.

If I have in my usual way got things completly wrong could someone
explain to what I need to do to make my box RFC and compliant and not a
blight on the internet.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk