[Gllug] floppy disc access

George F.Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 09:10:54 UTC 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 23:50, you wrote:
> Mark Preston wrote:
> >   George F. Saxby wrote:-
> > <SNIP>
> >   er silly questions :-
> >   does the BIOS see the floppy disk?
> >   Is the floppy disc activated at boot up switched on in the BIOS?
> > </SNIP>
> >
> > Not a silly question, I think you might be onto something George.
> > The curious thing (amongst other things) is that this Compaq Deskpro
> > in question no longer allows me to access the BIOS settings on bootup.
> > There does seem to be a precedent for this.
> >
> > http://www.daemonnews.org/200010/adventure.html
<SNIP>

> You can download a Softpaq from Compaq that allows you access to the
> setup, but, I think, it's only for Windows.
>
> Dan

 Sorry but  the BIOS partition is Compaq's own and does not care what the
following O/S is HOWEVER you do need, if my memory serves, another box to
create the softpaq disks from the images on and that may be windows. I had
this trouble a couple of years back with a Compaq Proliant server. Help came
in the form of a guy called Winters who works for Compaq US and runs hs own
LINUX for Compaq site stateside. Very helpful chap especially since the
proliant I had was a US model not released here so UK Compaq had no info or
CD's for it . 48 hours later I had the cd.s in my grubby paws special
delivery no less.

--
Bandiera tuxa trionfera,
Evviva il penguin e la liberta