[Gllug] Linux config suitable for everyone...

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Nov 26 23:35:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 11:15:23 +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Nov 26 2002, Pete wrote:
> > Why not galeon or konq?
>
> I don't know...
<snip>
> In fact, I'm going to try them now.

lol

> > (not wanting to start a war here but a reason for the choice would be
> > nice)  As I think Huw quite nicely pointed out that (unless there's a
> > good reason) the choice made is less important than having useful menus.
>
> Don't know about the other browsers yet, but Mozilla *does* have useful
> menues.
<snip>

Actually I meant panel/startbar/whatever menus.  So as long as the menu item
says "Web Browser" then a newbie knows what will be launched.  After all,
what is "Mozilla" supposed to mean to an 80-year-old who decided to buy her
first computer. :)

Then again, "what does 'GNOME' mean, and why does everything start with 'g'?"
I'm sure people will ask.. maybe I should remove the word GNOME from
everything too so as to avoid confusion.. maybe this is just a futile
exercise anyway, trying to bring Linux to the masses.  I hope not.

> > Good reasons I think are stability, GUI consistancy and user
> > friendliness.
>
> I do manage to crash Mozilla once in a while, but I think it's due to
> the java-thingie... (blackdown 1.3 or what have you).

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it wasn't stable.  In fact I'm sure it's as
stable as any other recent browser.

> I know. I always use list-reply... for some reason it now adds your
> address. How strange. I just upgraded to mutt from debian testing, I
> wonder if that's got something to do with it? *confused*

Strange indeed.  Oh well..

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk