[Gllug] Linux config suitable for everyone...

Stig Brautaset gllug at brautaset.org
Tue Nov 26 23:15:23 UTC 2002

On Nov 26 2002, Pete wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:34:31 +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > On Nov 26 2002, Pete wrote:
> > > Indeed.  Us GLLUGers *like* choice, so a menuful of browsers by name is
> > > welcomed, but a regular person just wants to point at "Web Browser" and
> > > expect it to work.
> > >
> > > The issue then is which choices to make for them!
> >
> > Mozilla. Definitely.
>
> Why not galeon or konq?

I don't know... I've not actually used Galeon or Konqueror for years :P
I would probably try them, if it wasn't for the fact I use neither KDE
or GNOME. This is were I was going to show how many extra packages I had
to install to get Galeon/Konqueror running. This is also where I
realised I was about to make an ass out of myself. Konqueror didn't
require anything I didn't have already... Galeon required a few
packages, but nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I'm going to try
them now.

> (not wanting to start a war here but a reason for
> the choice would be nice)  As I think Huw quite nicely pointed out that
> (unless there's a good reason) the choice made is less important than having
> useful menus.

Don't know about the other browsers yet, but Mozilla *does* have useful
menues. I love its popup-killer features ;P It also renders webpages
beautifully, pretty-prints html source (this is configurable) --
possible not so important anymore, but I remember learning html by
reading source and it would be nice to have had something like that
back then) -- integrates well with mail/news (or so I'm told, I haven't
actually tried the mail/news client).

> Good reasons I think are stability, GUI consistancy and user
> friendliness.

I do manage to crash Mozilla once in a while, but I think it's due to
the java-thingie... (blackdown 1.3 or what have you).

> For the consistancy (with the rest of the desktop) factor, I'm
> inclined to shy away from Moz.

Fair enough.

> BTW, I am subscribed to the list - no need to cc me (in mutt, I've found you
> can use L to reply instead, after adding gllug to the 'lists' in .muttrc).

I know. I always use list-reply... for some reason it now adds your
address. How strange. I just upgraded to mutt from debian testing, I
wonder if that's got something to do with it? *confused*

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk