Why did you choose Linux? (was Re: [Gllug] Onetel are CRAP!!)

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Sat Nov 2 21:03:33 UTC 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 11:46, John Davies wrote:
> I originally got into Linux purely because it was a
> free (beer) UNIX clone available for PC hardware. I
> prefered the philosophy behind UNIX as opposed to
> Windows.

My original reason for moving off MSware into a *nix environment was
power and control.  I wanted to be able to learn how this internetty
thing _really_ worked and how to make a computer (Dos/Win95 at that
point) do what I really wanted it to do.

Why Linux?  Cost, I could get hold of linux at little / no cost
(slackware initially then Debian) and get it dual booting on my 486dx33
8 Mb (bloody cutting edge machine costing me an arm, leg and major
internal organ at the time[1]).  That combined with a Demon net
connection gave me a powerful platform to play with.

Bottom line, right tool for the right job.  This might be a flavour of
windows, Linux, *BSD, MacOS or something else but someone who picks the
tool based on a political agenda is not going to get the best out of the
tool, hardware or user.

   Mark

[1] Still in use, and it's still the same machine[2]
[2] Everything except the case, PSU and floppy have been replaced but
    it's still the same machine
--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/