[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Mon Nov 11 11:41:14 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 10:01, Tethys wrote:
[...]
> more likely to be able to find an unfiltered pure IP connection. With
> cable, the providers seem more likely to prevent you running servers,
> for example, and may well block certain (or in some cases all) incoming
> ports. Of course, this can apply to ADSL too, depending on your ISP, but
> it seems that cable providers are more anal about it.

Inbound filtering is not uncommon because of security / support issues,
experience has proved my theory that most ADSL users haven't the
faintest clue about security and therefore ADSL can become a hellhole of
open relays, insecure SOCKS servers etc etc.  So don't be suprised if
your ADSL ISP has either an inbound filter or an aggressive block/cutoff
policy when dealing with network abuse issues.

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk