[Gllug] ADSL or cable?

michael norman michaeltnorman at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 11 19:41:12 UTC 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 00:01, Garry Heaton wrote:
> Since my dial-up connection was cut to 33kbps when BT installed a DACS
> box recently, I've been thinking about switching to ADSL or cable modem.
> I also need a fast connection for updating my Linux and FreeBSD machines.
>
> Is either one better than the other? Any recommendations?
>
> Garry Heaton

I've got ntl cable modem at the slowest speed (128kps) for 14.99 pm.  It works
fine but there are major issues with ntl support.  eg it took a week for ntl
to register me as a user for e-mail.  Having said that once it was installed,
connected to an nic it worked straight away using SuSE 8.1 which simply set
up DHCP so I could surf the internet at once.  Since I've got the
registration thing fixed it has worked perfectly.

The ntlworld site will tell you if its available in your area.  You may or may
not want to look at asite caled ntlhell (google will find it)

In short a qualified recommendation in the sense that it works for me but
YMMV.

Not sure bt or other adsl  is any better and its certainly more expensive
.
You can get 600kps for 24.99 pm but I haven't found the need for that as I'm
not a gamer.  The always on is enough for me as I was paying 10..00 pm for a
surftime connection.  Its great surfing without any dial up hassle and also
leaving the phone line free.

HTH

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk