[Gllug] Onetel are CRAP!!

Fasih Rehman fudo at fudonet.net
Fri Nov 1 15:27:32 UTC 2002

Hello All,

I have never used Onetel dialup so I don't know how good or bad it is.
Though from what friends used to tell me back then, it did cleary have a
very good reputation. I am however a Onetel DSL subscriber and have been
since January. In my current situation I am not very happy with Onetel
either.

Onetel bought out Iomart for the purpose of providing broadband services
back in February. Though to be honest it has just been one blunder after
the other in their customer services and accounts departments. To be
honest my case is not as bad as some of the things I have read on DSL
forums.

I had arranged to pay bills by direct debit, but when Iomart became
Onetel all direct debits where cancelled automatically around May. Now
what should have happened is all customers should have been informed
before hand, be it via mail or a phone call. But no this would have been
to hard, so only some clients where contacted.

So instead of invoices some subscribers started getting bills, but not
till August, some never realised this till last week (me) and some still
probably don't know this yet. What this means is that subscribers get
hit with big bills. A situation that could have been obviously avoided.

To be honest technically speaking their service has been great, only
suffered a few minor connection problems, and a hand full of DNS outages
which are BT's fault anyway. I think Onetel just need to sort out their
customer service.

If they really are degrading their dial up service to get more broadband
customers then I think they should re-think their strategy. They will
never convert dial up users to broadband users if customer service is
poor. My contract is nearly up so I'm looking to switch to cheaper
providers anyway, probably Demon or PlusNET.

Fasih Rehman

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk