[Gllug] NTL broadband and dual boot

mriscott at yahoo.co.uk mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 10:03:09 UTC 2002

Hi,

Anyone else out there using NTL broadband on a dual boot machine?

I got the set-top-box self install malarkey.  Connected to my NIC.  First,
I booted to windows 98 (my machine does win98, linux and beos!) to register
- after a few hours, it all worked.

Then I booted into linux - rebooted my set top box, set up my network card
- and it all worked.

Now I can get it to work in any of the three OS's - but usually not immediately.
If I get it working in windows (for example), I can switch it off, reboot to
windows, and it Just Works.

But ... if I then boot to linux, it barfs.  I can get it to work by some
combination of rebooting the set top box, pump, and rebooting the PC (I know,
I shouldn't have to - but It Worked!).

 - and then  I have the same game if I reboot to windows or beos.

Oh, and sometimes, on rebooting to windows it sends me to it's registration
page and asks me to set up my "New Computer"!

Anyone had any experience of anything like this?  It is rapidly becoming a bit
of a pain.

Thanks,

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk