[Gllug] TV out

Stan stan at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 30 16:33:18 UTC 2002

Rev Simon Rumble (simon at rumble.net) apparently wrote:
> On Wed 30 Oct, Xander D Harkness bloviated thus:
> > I was wondering that while Matrox and Nvidia provide cards that provide
> > TV out under Linux, are there any that people would recommend?
>
> Be aware that Matrox G450 and G550 do NOT do TV-Out under Linux, and
> probably never will.  The Matrox people always go "mumble mumble
> Macrovision" and change the subject.  It's something of a sore point
> with many Matrox owners as the support under Windows is fantastic.

Actually it does...it requires that you patch your kernel but it works
v well.  Well it does on my machine at home which says this is the card:

lspci -vv
<snip>

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 82) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G450 Dual Head LX
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Latency: 32 (4000ns min, 8000ns max), cache line size 08
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
        Region 0: Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
        Region 1: Memory at d6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Region 2: Memory at d7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk