[Gllug] Broadband Routing to Home net

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 22:46:37 UTC 2002

On Mon 07 Oct, Calvin la Cock wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I know i will probably get flamed for asking this ( RTFM).
>
> I don't know too much about Network Routing but i recon someone out there
> did/is doing this at home so any pointers will help.
>
> I got a Linux Box that Dails into BT Broadband via USB connection : PPP0
>
> In the linux box , i got 2 3Com NIC's going to 2 PC's in the Study.
>
> Can any one please give me pointers as to how establish a routing of packets
> so that the 2 pc's on ETH0 and ETH1 can get on the internet.
>
> This is the last step that i need to overcome to get rid of the legecy of
> Bill on my PC's.
>
> Many thanks
> Calvin la Cock

   The normal method is to use just one NIC going to a hub or switch, rather
than a dedicated NIC for each of the PC's. You can then have as many PC's as
the hub/switch will connect, all using the box attached to the USB ADSL as a
gateway, (normally also configured as a firewall). If the Linux ADSL box is
not required to do anything else, a quick and relatively easy way to start
is to load Smoothwall on it. The hard disc will be wiped and reformatted,
and Smoothwall can be configured to use the USB ADSL. This requires at least
32MB RAM plus a small HDD (500MB is plenty), on anything from a 486 upwards,
(few 386 computers have enough RAM).
   If you still want to use dedicated NIC's for each of your PC's, you will
need to use crossover ethernet cables.
   A hub or switch provides the crossover facility for each NIC connected to
a normal port, so uses a 1 to 1 cable. Two hubs or switches can be linked
together, but then only one port needs to crossover, so one of the ports may
be switched to avoid the need for another crossover.
   If you want to make up your own cables, beware that the pin connections
for the different twisted pairs are not obvious.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk