[Gllug] Starting on Linux

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Oct 17 23:15:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 23:46, Chris Stone wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking of starting to use Linux and I am a home user. Which Linux distribution would you recommend please, and where could I buy a PC with the relevant software installed?

Is this purely intending to start a large flame war? :-)

The distribution depends largely on what you want to use Linux for.

If you just want to get on and use Linux, then take a look at any of
RedHat, Debian, and probably SuSE as well.

GND will sell you a system preinstalled with, as far as I can work out,
pretty well any distribution you want, and they're relatively cheap and
highly spoken of. I can't personally recommend them since I've never
bought anything from them, but I'm aware of nobody being annoyed by
them.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk