[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 17:17:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Jason Clifford wrote:

Ok, I am _so_ totally defending Red Hat here, so be warned.  Also, I am
not speaking on behalf of Red Hat, i am speaking as an enthusiast (I
cannot help it, I love our products).

> I am not disputing that Red Hat have a right to do this. I am merely
> stating that if RH are no longer willing to allow people like John Winters
> (Linux Exporium) to distribute GPL CDs of their distro I don't feel that
> they deserve the communities continued promotion to the same level.

That is just not true. If he wants to reproduce Red Hat CD's, give our
marketing department a ring, and get an agreement.  It doesn't cost more
than the phone call!  We just don't want anyone gobling a few RPM's
together and say "hey, this is Red Hat, man!" Guess who they will blame
if this dodgy CD doesn't work?  Red Hat.  Is _that_ really so bad?

I have spoken to the marketing several times on this issue (people
keep saying "We cannot do this and we cannot do that"), but it always
turns out that they haven't even asked whether they could or not.

LJ
--
finger -l Lene.Jensen at nvg.ntnu.no <URL: http://lene.nvg.org/>

Un paio di scarpe, per favore!