[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Oct 24 17:07:26 UTC 2002

Xander D Harkness writes:

>>I can do a RH 7.3 demo. I wont touch RH 8.0 for now as it is less free
>>than previous versions, includes less useful software (ie mp3 support) and
>>I'm none too happy with the recent changes in attitude at RH with regard
>>to trademark licensing.
>>
>In what way do you regard it as less free?

He's almost certainly referring to the fact that you can no longer use
the redhat-logos package directly. If you resell a CD of RH8 that you
burned after downloading it, you have to replace the RH logos with your
own. Not only is that perfectly reasonable, but it's also something
they legally *have* to do unless they want to lose the rights to their
own logo. Interestingly, I believe Debian, long championed as the "most
free" distribution, has been doing this for a while now (before RH did):

	http://www.debian.org/logos/#official-use

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk