[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Fri Oct 25 11:39:33 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:21:17 +0100 Alain Williams wrote:

> I must say that one of the nice things about SuSE is that *all* of
> these are there. OK, you have 6 (or is it 8) install CDs, but you
> don't need to load them all.

How is SuSE 8.1 against Red Hat 8.0?  I actually like Red Hat 8.0 very
much, even though it's a bit rough around the edges in some places when
I've been trying it at home (for instance, my Geforce 4 MX440 only runs
X in 1024x768 despite the Display configuration applet thinking it's in
1280x960).  I like the Bluecurve interface a great deal, and it's the
sort of thing I could get my own father to use.

I must admit that I have not used SuSE products since 7.3 after they
stopped sending me the freebie LUG copy of the Professional range. I did
go out and buy 7.3 when that was released as I hadn't heard anything
from them, and sods law came into effect and there popped the freebie
vesion.  After that I've heard nothing from them.  The only reason I've
not gone out and bought other editions was just in case the LUG copy
turned up! :)

> I do understand, however, what Redhat is trying to do: too much choice
> confuses the naive user, it also increases the RH support/development
> costs. Experienced players can always download/compile/install stuff,
> but(probably being lazy) they don't want to ... it provides a
> motivation to change distro -- and these are the sort of influential
> people that RH wants to keep on board.

That is indeed one of the biggest complaints for newbies and one of the
biggest joys that I have with the Linux desktop - you can use Gnome or
KDE, or Windomaker, or FVWM2 or whatever. There is no standard desktop.
You can mix or match stuff.  Corporate people will want to see a
standard desktop.  By uniting Gnome and KDE into one interface, I'm sure
Red Hat are going to attract a lot more

Does SuSE install KDE or Gnome (or both) by default, BTW?  It's been too
long since I've used it now.

Regards,

	Martyn

Martyn Drake                 | Email :    martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Systems Administrator        | Web   :  http://www.moving-picture.com
The Moving Picture Company   | Phone :            +44 (0)20 7494 7853

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk