[Gllug] Re: [Gllug]thoughts on mulberry client

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Oct 17 23:03:09 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 14:32, Steve Nicholson wrote:
> from the "Alternative e-mail client for those poor Windows users" thread
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:23:15 +0100 Thom May wrote:
> > Mulberry.
> > http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry/
> > It's try for 30 days ware, but it is probably one of the better imap
> > maillers on the planet.
>
> Looks interesting. Any on this list using it on Linux/unix?  I think I remember seeing something about it supporting sieve on imap servers.  Is this correct?  Meaning it makes it easier to write sieve scripts/filters and put them on the server.

I played with it on various, so in the absence of anyone else replying:

Yes, it does SIEVE, but unfortunately doesn't support any way of getting
them onto the server that I've found. It just dumps them onto the local
disk, which is not so good. It will, however, write the scripts
reasonably well, but personally I find it easier to write them by hand.

Equally, it does ACAP, in a manner of speaking. But since the only other
ACAP aware client is Eudora, which is read-only, this is probably quite
good support.

> What's it like from a keyboard users point of view?  I find GUI useful for times when I want to do something new or not done often but prefer using key commands for repetitive stuff.  Can key commands be changed to my liking?  I'm still to delve into Mutt due to the concern of lost time setting it up and learning all the bits I need to know.

Pass. Didn't play with it for long enough.

> Does it do threaded views?

Yes, from what I remember. Bear in mind that the threading itself is
usually done by the IMAP server, and the algorithms the server uses can
be thrown (and often are, on this list).

> I'm after the imap support, really want to get away from Outlook, trying sylpheed-claws but not convinced on it (like the spell checking feature).  My test at the moment is if I can easily read my morning mail while eating breakfast.  Not having to put my serial bowl down to make changes or too many keystrokes to quickly skim through everything is important you know.

On Linux, I'm using Evolution for IMAP. I'm not convinced by
sylpheed-claws either, as yet.

Evolution does, at least, allow me to flick through my emails in a
single folder very quickly on the keyboard, and it handles the threading
nicely.

However, it's not totally compliant with IMAP[1], and it does have a
nasty habit of crashing if some other IMAP client changes anything on
the server - including reading an email.

Of course, as mentioned previously on this very list, I run IMAP mainly
so I needn't use the same client all the time, and so if a client does
crash, I'm unlikely to lose email because of it, so I'm willing to put
up with Evolution for the time being.

Dave.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk