[Gllug] Phoneline DACSed today. Now reduced to 28.8kbps

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Thu Oct 10 08:12:55 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 21:30, Garry Heaton wrote:
> BT fitted a phoneline in my neighbour's flat today and I learned from
> the engineer that I've been DACSed, ie. connection split in half. Even
> my XP box, which was connecting consistenly at 48.6kbps in now reduced
> to 28.8 max. Linux box with Diamond SupraSST 56e Pro external is even
> slower though can't read connection speed from the KPPP tab. Is there a
> command line tool I can use to guage my connection speed?

You get the best speed over a DACS line by disabling the higher speeds
and going straight for 32k/34k, which will work well.  See uk.telecom
for frequent advice on this subject.

> Has anyone any experience of this? If so, is there any precedent for
> getting BT to un-DACS if the protest is loud enough?

No.  Some claim to have done it by sweet-talking but the official BT
line is that you're paying for a voice circuit and that's what you're
getting.  If you want a guaranteed data circuit they say, order one
(ISDN, HH, BH or ADSL).

There are rumours that if you ask for ADSL then they have to take the
DACS off to test your line and suggestions that you can then cancel the
ADSL order.  There's no guarantee of course that the DACS won't then
come back.

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk