[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Tue Oct 29 00:11:43 UTC 2002

On Monday 28 Oct 2002 11:36 pm, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> Andrew
>
> > > I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. While the manuals look very
> > > impressive they have very little info on accessing the internet.
> > > Now if this were Windows I'd know exactly what was wrong and could
> > > explain myself and probably wouldn't even need to do so as I could fix
> > > the thing myself. This is in no way praise for that wretched piece of
> > > work. I

Dermot,

sorry you are having such a hard time of this !
wvdial is one of many dial up connection utilities available.  Personally I
don't think it is one of the easiest for a linux newbie to get their head
round which is why I suggested kppp.
To do this, just type kppp at a command prompt. If kde is installed (which is
suse it almost certainly is) the dial up utility will run (it may as for
root's password).  The utility is the closest I know in linux to the 'dial up
networking' in 'doze.  The first thing is to set up a new account with your
ISP's tel number and DNS numbers and then go to the device tab to try
different ttys* options.
I can't give you any guarantees this will work but you may find it easier than
editing configuration files.  Hopefully this will help finalise which com
device is the real modem and if the settings are OK it should work.
If you have problems with the kppp settings, mail me off list and I can relay
them step by step.

I hope this helps

Rgds

Andrew