[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Oct 29 10:11:54 UTC 2002

> Andrew
> >Drop down to a command line (CTRL ALT F1),
>
> I did that and I got a totally black screen that frightened the hell out of
> me. I had to do a reboot to get back to normal.

Black screen eh?
Looks like the frame buffer's setting a mode your monitor can't handle.
I'd fix that if I were you.
:)
When you have a spare moment, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove anything
that looks like "vga=<number>". That's what's setting the thing to
framebuffer mode. You won't have the pretty animated shutdown screen
anymore, but it'll at least be accessable the next time you reboot.

> Well, it made the modem flash and screech which is a hell of an
> improvement. But then it just seems to stop. wvdial seems to have some
> interesting messages but it flies off the screen before I can read the
> lines at the end that might point me to something. Any idea how I might be
> able to read them?
> Anyway, thanks for your help. I'm progressing and I learned a lot while
> trying.

next time, use wvdial > wvdial.log
This redirects the output to a file that you can read at your leisure using
less or more.
Although you SHOULD be able to scroll up in the X terminal to see the
messages.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk