[Gllug] [slightly OT]: Linux volunteering

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 21:16:49 UTC 2002

> On Sun 29 Sep, Alex Gonzalez wrote:
> >
> > Am I the only one who thinks that our community would benefit from a > > linux volunteering group?

By the looks of the responses there are a few people interested.  I am also interested in helping out I did look at a volunteers site a while ago that someone posted a link to on this list.  They basically do projects round the world from what I could tell, I didn't have the time to get involved.

I think we need to get those that are interested onto a mailing list, setup a web page with the basic informations such as Simon's rent-a-geek (is it ok to pinch the text off your page Simon?) and find someone that is prepared to champion it.  Maybe finding someone or ones to champion it (take it on as their baby to get it going) is the more important part to get it kick started.  I'm only in the UK for the summers so probably not the best person for this, I'm happy to offer setting up the mailing list, web hosting or what ever that I can do remotely.

Thinking about this if it was going to be a gllug based group it would be best to have it as part of the gllug.linux.co.uk site and another gllug based mailling list.   This helps put some order to things at least and another way to promote gllug.  Great just did my self out of a job, open to anywhere else I can help. Actually I would be happy to take on the roll as one of the start up organisers to get it kicked off as most of this will be done by email anyway.

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk