[Gllug] linux calendar/schedule/todo list software?

Steve Nicholson steve at kiwibum.com
Tue Sep 3 19:12:10 UTC 2002

> Yep, gnomecal was nice, but sadly now discontinued, in favour of
> evolution[1] :-( What's the problem with using the keyboard? You
> should be able to use the keyboard for pretty much everything in
> gnomecal.

Frustrating little things about the using the keyboard, like adding new event, can tab to everything bar the "summary box" had to select this with the mouse.  Little things like that which didn't seam thought out, then there might be some key codes I need to know to get things to work right.

> The best calendaring product I've used is ical:
>
> 	ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/apps/ical
>
> Sadly, that too is now unmaintained (and dropped from the latest
> RH betas, too, along with other useful stuff like fvwm2 and rxvt).
> Fortunately, it doesn't need much maintenance. The only downside
> is that it doesn't handle shared calendars, which rules it out for
> use throughout a company. But for personal use, you're unlikely to
> find much better. That said, I don't think it's great on use via
> the keyboard, which probably makes it unsuitable for you.

I don't mind using the mouse and find it very useful for some things, just common stuff like moving round fields etc is faster from keyboard.

Just had a look at korganizer, looks nice, can do all the things I want for now so might use this.  At least can export or I&Vcalander files so hopefully will be easy to change to something else.  Seams a bit bloated for what I want but will do.

mozilla calendar looks very good too and probably the way to go later but I'm not ready for it.  Will be interesting to see if someone does a lite version of it like skipstone etc.  Tried installing it but failed.

Have to agree with the idea of separate small apps that may be integrated with others. I see Korganizer only allows kaddressbook for email addresses.

Interesting idea using Jabber for reminders.

Thanks for all the replies.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk