[Gllug] USB web cams

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Sep 6 10:38:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 08:20:49AM +0100, Robin Smith wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience of running a USB web cam over a
> reasonably long distance - around 10 meters?

You can get extenders that do the trick. 10 metres is about the
maximum length that it'll work properly though. The solution that I've
used before is a CCTV camera, proper shielded cable and a video
capture card[1]. This is great when you want to have really long runs
of cable between your encoding PC and the camera.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Osprey 100, FWIW

--
Actually Perl *can* be a Bondage & Discipline language but it's unique
among such languages in that it lets you use safe words.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk