[Gllug] Filesystems for Linux

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Apr 18 23:00:33 UTC 2003

Chris Bell (chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Hello,
>    Is there any agreement about the preferred filesystem for a
> general-purpose Linux box (not intended to be dedicated for streaming
> video)? The normal choice offered is ext2, ext3, or Reiser. The last I
> heard, some time ago, was that there were more recovery tools for ext2/3
> problems, and that a small /boot partition may be best left as ext2.

Anything that its ext2 may was well be ext3 now days. However, ext3 does
seek on the disk every few seconds (like, every 5 seconds or so, even on
idle systems, as it updates the journal). I like reiser; its pretty
fast, but some people have had disaters with it (a long time ago now,
but once bitten, etc). Due to a hardrive that is now a very expensive
rattle you'd give a baby, I have had the 'opportunity' to swithc my
laptop to reiser, and not had any problems. I dont see this constant
seeking, so hopefully that will reduce ewar and tear and give me a
better life scan.

  James B
(Still waiting for Hitachi to get back to me about my 22 month old drive
being a useless shinny object with a lose part on the inside).
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html

I am in London on UK mobile +44 7952 042920.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk