[Gllug] email like distro (think =~ s/smoothwall/smoothemail/g)

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 23:21:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 16:11, John Hearns wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 15:35, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> > John Hearns wrote:

> SuSE have taken free components - the base Linux kernel and GNU
> utilities, IMAP server, Postfix etc. etc. and put them together with
> their own Perl scripts for an administration front end, and a
> groupware/calendaring program. I see nothing wrong with that - they are
> adding to the free software parts, and charging for support.

I was under the impression that their additional software was not under
a free software license. I'm all for the "charge for support" model, but
I thought that with this, SuSe had taken several free products, added
some proprietary eye candy, and then boxed the result for sale. I do
have a rather strong objection to that sort of behaviour, as it allows
companies to produce maximum return for minimal investment. Are SuSe's
changes free software? I'd be interested to know.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk