[Gllug] email like distro (think =~ s/smoothwall/smoothemail/g)

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Sat Apr 26 23:11:05 UTC 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:04:32 +0100 Murray typed:

> yah! lucky me - I'm about to get another little (2nd hand) box to play
> with.
>
> I was hoping for a sorta-mail server

<snip>

> - Smoothwall/IPCop are dedicated firewall distro's (MeshAP from
> locustworld.com being another custom-distro)
> - Are there similarly dedicated mailserver distro's out there?

I'd recommend creating the second box as a firewall distro, then on the
provided DMZ (assuming it has 3 network cards in it) stick another
separate machine for mail and anything else (web server etc).
Old dell optiplex machines can be had for very little on ebay - i bought
2 p166/32mb machines with built-in graphics and 10/100 network cards
(but no hard disks) for 7.50 each! Try
http://www.mcscom.co.uk/usedbases.htm (which is who i bought mine off).

I run IPCop as a firewall box, connecting to the web with my NTL cable
connection. It is fantastic, and does the job perfectly. As the
smoothwall user said earlier 'it just works' (only, unlike smoothwall,
it doesn't have ads for their commercial version pasted all over it ;-)
It is all managed through a web interface, and includes things such as
Intrusion Detection System, adsl modem and dialup support, quick
security update mechanism, web proxy etc. And no need to ever touch the
command-line on it.

As a web/mail server at home I'm messing with FreeBSD at the moment,
just to see what the fuss is about...

Cheers,
Mark.

--