[Gllug] adsl/web cams

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Wed Aug 27 18:06:16 UTC 2003

Xander D Harkness wrote:
> t.clarke wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am thinking of installing an ADSL connection at home, preferably on
>> a linux
>> box.  I hear that PlusNet offer a generally good service with the
>> possibility
>> to use an ethernet connection to the PC and a fixed IP address. Has
>> anyone used
>> them and if so what experience ??
>>

> plusnet will not answer the telephone, they will not respond to email
> queries.  My mother had to cancel via her credit card company and let
> them fight it out.  The only other answer would have been to take them
> to court to get the cash back.
>
> The kit that they sent out was in two lots, except that they sent the
> same part of the kit twice and hence their records were complete while
> we had parts missing.
> I would not even go looking for a barge pole :-)

Got booted off Plusnet  three years ago for being a Surftime 24/7
customer (on ISDN)
and labelled an "abuser of the service."  IIRC correctly, "acceptable
use" was about four hours a day.
Actually I was an admin working mainly from home and would  have
upgraded had they asked. So I
switched to Demon and eventually became a Demon Business ADSL customer.

PlusNet wanted a fortune to transfer out the "free" domain they
registered. Also they
were never able to get the hang of reverse DNS, blaming RIPE, BT etc..

Though PlusNet claim to have reformed, I too wouldn't touch them with
the "proverbial."

I here good things about Zen,  a perl developer I know uses them. Was
mindly tempted by Bulldog
but when you get through to their sales straight away and get left on
hold for ages to get through to
customer services, that tends to get the alarm bells going. They seem
quite cheap but I wouldn't expect
too much in terms of support. Bulldog will give a static address however...

Shortly I will be using Easynets SDSL service out of the unbundled
Poplar Exchange. We'll see how that
fairs.

--
Paul Lee