[Gllug] Re: (OT) Sparcs Was: SGI Machines

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Aug 21 22:05:18 UTC 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Ian Northeast wrote:

> Tethys wrote:
> >
> > Jon Masters writes:
> >
> > >A reasonable machine for fun. The MBUS allows two HyperSPARC or whatever
> > >to be added but remember that Solaris is only "free" for single CPU.
> >
> > Huh? Since when? Last time I looked, it was free for 1-4 CPUs. When
> > did it change?

Last time I looked Sun were also still talking about obtaining the source
for Solaris from their *whatever*. Now if you actually repeatedly try to
obtain it from them for educational use...I bought the Solaris Internals
book a year ago and am still trying to get a response on obtaining code.
</moan>

Back on topic though...I think the change was probably with Solaris 9 and
agree they are unlikely to care if you use it on something different.

Digressing again a bit...

Microsoft Windows NT systems all share a common kernel but change the HAL.
There are several changeable registry keys which restrict the CPU number.
Bill is likely to wibble over licensing again when many many more cores
begin to be added to desktop and low end server machines.

Jon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk