[Gllug] Anyone made practical use of a network detection program?

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Thu Dec 11 23:46:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 10:24:29PM +0000, Rich Walker wrote:
> Phil Reynolds <phil at tinsleyviaduct.com> writes:
>
> > I am wondering if anyone here has ever successfully used a
> > network-determining program to decide whether to set up a machine with
> > its normal static IP or to dhcp for one.
>
> I use "ping -c 10 10.1.1.11 && exim -qf || true" in my
> /etc/network/interfaces in an up stanza to do something like this; in
> this case, only send mail if on the home network.
>
> Also,
> xerxes# more /etc/rcS.d/S41switchiw
> #!/bin/bash
>
> ifconfig -a | grep wlan || ifup eth0:1
>
> where eth0:1 is in /etc/network/interfaces with the same ip address as
> wlan0 normally has...
>
> Does any of this help?

I can't see how if it does...

All my computers, even the laptop, have external addresses when they are
at home. When taken to other places, however, I need to modify the setup
so that it uses dhcp to get its address. There are tools like "divine"
for this, but I cannot work out how to get these tools to work out which
to do.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 67, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk