[Gllug] Anyone made practical use of a network detection program?

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Dec 11 22:24:29 UTC 2003

Phil Reynolds <phil at tinsleyviaduct.com> writes:

> I am wondering if anyone here has ever successfully used a
> network-determining program to decide whether to set up a machine with
> its normal static IP or to dhcp for one.

I use "ping -c 10 10.1.1.11 && exim -qf || true" in my
/etc/network/interfaces in an up stanza to do something like this; in
this case, only send mail if on the home network.

Also,
xerxes# more /etc/rcS.d/S41switchiw
#!/bin/bash

ifconfig -a | grep wlan || ifup eth0:1

where eth0:1 is in /etc/network/interfaces with the same ip address as
wlan0 normally has...

Does any of this help?

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk