[Gllug] DNS and SMTP Problem

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Dec 1 10:23:28 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, wendy carr wrote:

> ISDN to Broadband recently. The linux clients on the
> network cannot send emails but able to down load
> emails from the POP server.I am using one static IP
> and use ISP's DNS.
> I am getting broadband from an ISP different to the
> one hosting my email server and web server.Could this
> be the problem? do i have to transfer the email/web
> hosting to the broadband ISP ?Running my own email/web
> server is my ultimate goal.Any idea?

The first thing to check is the configuration of your local systems - what
SMTP server are they sending email out through?

If it is not the one provided by your broadband ISP, are the clients
configured to use authenticated SMTP?

If not they wont be able to send email via that server.

I would recommend either configuring your systems to use the broadband
ISP's SMTP server or setting up a mail server locally to send email from.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/	   1Mb ADSL Broadband - just £27.50 / month
                            + Free Activation on all ADSL services

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk