[Gllug] OT: Copyright and Snow Balls

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 08:04:20 UTC 2003

>  It's all over the TV news, some artist got a settlement out of court with
>  Habitat, because they used his "idea" on an ad campaign.
>
>  This idea being putting something inside a snow ball, he got 70K because
>  Habitat was accused of suggesting he was backing up their products,
>  They had an ad with 2 chairs sticking out of a semi-melted snow ball.

Hmm. I guess this depends how close it was to his stuff.  If they used fried
egg watches, or a lobster telephone I reckon Dali could have a pretty strong
case that they'd nicked his work. And I kind of like the idea that you don't
need to be superbly well known to win this sort of case.

>  What next? I can say it is my idea to wear trainers and a kilt, and wait
>  until some clothes chain comes up with something similar.. and then sue.

I think you need to produce art in this vein and get it exhibited somewhere.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk