[Gllug] OT: Copyright and Snow Balls

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Dec 1 09:33:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:04:20AM +0000, Ian Scott wrote:

> >  It's all over the TV news, some artist got a settlement out of court with
> >  Habitat, because they used his "idea" on an ad campaign.
> >
> >  This idea being putting something inside a snow ball, he got 70K because
> >  Habitat was accused of suggesting he was backing up their products,
> >  They had an ad with 2 chairs sticking out of a semi-melted snow ball.
>
> Hmm. I guess this depends how close it was to his stuff.  If they used fried
> egg watches, or a lobster telephone I reckon Dali could have a pretty strong
> case that they'd nicked his work. And I kind of like the idea that you don't
> need to be superbly well known to win this sort of case.

I'm sorry, but when was it that copyright started applying to ideas,
rather than the literal printed word?

This is lawyers extending copyright in directions far beyond how it
was supposed to apply, and judges and lawmakers unfortunately agreeing
with them, nothing else.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk