[Gllug] Any PPP gurus?

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 22:06:48 UTC 2003

On Monday 29 December 2003 21:01, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> At 20:23 29/12/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >and why
> >upgrade to 2.4.22 when 2.6.0 is available?
>
> Because 2.4.22/23 is a stable kernel that has tens of thousands of hours of
> uptime and is the result of millions of hours of testing on the 2.4 kernel
> series in production environments.  2.6.0 is not.

I think this is wrong in that a vanilla stable kernel is a vanilla stable
kernel. The kernel that Red hat would supply me is patched away like nobody's
business - that is the result of a lot of work by them, I think the marginal
difference between a vanilla 2.4.23 kernel and a 2.6.0 kernel isn't going to
be that great.

In any case - I really *do* want a pre-emptive kernel as something approaching
75 - 80 % of my email is spam and so spamassassin is useful but also painful!

> >Anyway, I can build and boot the 2.6 kernel without any problem, but I
> > cannot get it to sustain the ppp connection with homechoice - I get an
> > LCP timeout.
>
> See if you get the same issue with 2.4.23, 2.6.0 is a very different
> beasty.

With regard to PPP? Explain (please)...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk