[Gllug] Freeserve e-mail variable with Mozilla/Mandrake?

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 20:14:10 UTC 2003

Garry Heaton wrote:

> I've been having problems receiving Freeserve e-mail for over a month
> now. Most messages arrive OK but 3 contacts have sent messages on
> several occasions which never arrived and from different ISPs. I know
> Freeserve will try to blame Linux if make any attempt to rectify the
> problem from their end so I need to know if there is anything in my
> standard Mandrake setup which may be affecting dropped messages.

It's most likely to be Freeserve's poxy DNS servers, which are either so
badly configured or so overloaded that they do not respond a lot of the
time. This prevents mail getting through of course. They do work some of
the time, so with a typical 4 day timeout on attempting to send mail, it
normally gets there eventually but not always.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk