[Gllug] More Microsoft patents

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Feb 12 09:38:52 UTC 2003

"Andy Farnsworth" writes:

>It is also the reason and justification for an application server
>that will load, run, and keep resident in memory your java
>applications for the backend of your web site.

Even for persistent server side applications, Java's slow startup times
are a major problem. For example, whenever we deploy a new servlet, we
need to restart tomcat (yes, I know this is no longer true with Tomcat 4,
but we're still using Tomcat 3 for now). That restart takes 2 or 3 minutes
before it's up and running, which means an unacceptable outage on our
production site.

Now I don't want to lay all of the blame on Java -- we also have a back
end app server written in Java that restart's in a couple of seconds, so
I suspect at least part of it is that Tomcat is just very poorly written.
But as an observation, Java seems to make it easy to write poor code...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk