[Gllug] spontaneously unmounting filesystem

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Jan 9 08:44:41 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have a linux (debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18) box that handles dial up with NAT
for the rest of my network, some samba filesharing, and mail routing.  I
have a partition for / on one disk and a partition for /var and /data on
another disk all ext3.

Last night the /var partition became unmounted (I think).  When I did an ls
/var there was nothing there, running mount listed /var as being mounted but
doing unmount /var said that the partition was not mounted and it then
disappeared from the mount list.  I did a mount /var and everything seemed
to be fine again but I can't work out what happened as there doesn't appear
to be anything in the logs.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may
have happened so I can try and prevent this from happening again?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk