[Gllug] Alcatel speedtouch modem

Peter John Cameron peterca at ukgateway.net
Sat Jan 11 20:58:01 UTC 2003

> You need to get your box recognised by the routing equipment. Have you
> been given details of an initial test facility to connect to before
> attempting to connect to the real destination?

I have a dual boot windoze/Linux box. No problem when using ADSL with
windoze.

My present situation is that the ADSL modem is recognised and initialised
upon boot up. If I use kinternet to "dial up" my DSL connection,
/var/log/messages shows that a connection is in progress (the "ppp0 <->
0.38" bit). Thereafter nothing happens and a minute or so later Linux hangs
with flashing keyboard lights. The only solution is a hard reset.

Alternatively, if I try a start-adsl script (from a solution on the web)
which calls pppoa3 directly, all I get is LCP timeouts.

Previously I used a 56K USB modem with BT Internet Anytime. That,
fortunately, still works on the Linux side. The above happens whether or not
this serial modem is attached to the computer.

I am unsure in all of this where the firmware upload to the modem fits in.
On my travels round the web, various howtos advise downloading software that
includes the modem_run command which uploads firmware (from mgmt.o or
alternatively the windows driver) to the modem. If I try this step manually
after booting, I get a device is busy message (presumably with Alcatel's
speed management daemon).

The kernel (default one from Suse 8.1) doesn't appear to be SMP-enabled; any
way of checking this for sure? I did a make xconfig on the source to find
that SMP is disabled. I believe that USB and SMP can cause system hangs.

I'm stuck paying for two ISPs at the moment (Tiscali broadband and BT
Anytime) until I get this sorted.

Any ideas?

cheers,
Peter