[Gllug] new debian installation - sound setup ?

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Jan 28 16:22:22 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:08:53PM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 15:52, Sean Burlington wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > 	I've just installed debian for the first time after using redhat for
> > the last several years ...
> >
> > I'm suprised at how much work is required to set things up !
> >
> > I'd appreciate any hints on getting sound working
> >
> > I'm running
> >
> > Debian GNU testing/unstable
>
> Method 1.
>
> Use Knoppix to install Debian.
>
> Method 2.
>
> Boot Knoppix.  Pinch its sound configuration.
This surprises me greatly that open source software that is as useful as
printtool and sndconfig are not in the Debian sources tree or part of the
installation.

While we are on install questions.  I did not see mplayer in unstable, is
there another repository I should be using in addition?

(Xander as he waits for a lovely graphical desktop following the latest round
of apt-getting)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk