[Gllug] Size of tmpfs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Jan 10 10:49:44 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 09:22:19AM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> Now, I'd like to get the contents of /var/tmp into the tmpfs as well.
> Obviously I could set up two tmpfs's - one for /tmp and one for /var/tmp.
> Would it be possible/advisable to set up a link from one to the other (i.e. a
> link from /var/tmp to /tmp ?)

It's perfectly possible.  Another option introduced with 2.4.0 is to
remount /tmp at /var/tmp

	mount --bind /tmp /var/tmp

Which iirc can be done in fstab as

	/tmp	/var/tmp	none	bind	0 0

This appeals to me because I have had bad experiences in the past with
some distributions when I replaced some standard directories with
symlinks, only to find the package management system removing them and
putting back the original directory.  Also, ~t explicitly states what
you're doing.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill