[Gllug] SuSE Linux Office Desktop

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue Jan 21 11:16:48 UTC 2003

I just saw this announced on the SuSE site:

http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/company/press/press_releases/archive03/office_desktop.html

A desktop distro, using the Codeweavers plugin so that exisiting
Microsoft applications can be run.

Me, I think this is a good thing. It answers a lot of the objections
which are raised about transiting to Linux:
"Oh, but we can't run MS Office under Linux"
"Oh but we can'r run Visio/MS Project under Linux"

Yes I KNOW there are Linux native alternatives to Office, Visio, Project
- and I've tried 'em all, and rpompted them on this group and to many
people I have worked with.
But for a pragmatic business person - if you base your business on
a particular application, you need to be very sure before abandoning it.
And anyway - you've PAID for Visio already. Why not use that license?

The per-desktop pricing might seem a little concerning - but again,
that may be what small/medium businesses want - they are paying for some
level of support.

So, from me, looks like a good concept. Its there to do a specific job -
entice business desktop users onto Linux and make the transition less
painful.

I can see the flames leaping already...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk