[Gllug] Toolkit to write graphical app in Perl?

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Fri Jan 10 10:08:45 UTC 2003

>On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 14:29, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
> I have an Ipaq 3130 and want to use it to create a hardware, wireless
> networked mp3 stereo component.  As a stereo component, I want it to
> have a graphical front-end but not a GUI.  In other words, I want it
> to look and act like a piece of stereo gear, not something with
> windowing widgets like scrollbars and buttons.

You probably don't. While it may seem like a good idea, controls on a
stereo component are designed for physical contact. Emulating a volume
knob on a computer screen may look cool at first glance, you'll find
it hard to operate with a mouse. Equally, a list with a scrollbar is
by far the most natural means of selecting a playlist, so why go out of
your way to avoid it? See any of the numerous texts on user interface
design. But I guess it depends on whether you're after eye candy or
usability...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk