[Gllug] webcams

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 24 12:48:24 UTC 2003

On Friday 24 Jan 2003 11:51 am, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Hi folks,
> 	I'm planning to get a webcam for videoconferencing
> does anyone have recomendations as to which camereas work well
> it looks like the phillips USB driver is the best bet (though partly
> binary)
> http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/
> any gotchas I should watch out for ?
> I'm currently running redhat but plan to switch to debian in the near
> future

I have the Philips setup plus a few others. Philips works flawlessly. Colour
balance is fine. You can also buy a Leeuwenhoek microscope
http://www.pocketscope.com/index.shtml
The only gotcha is to read the manual - As usual I didn't and wasted 30
minutes resetting everything.
If the resultant image has a big grey border you probably need to use
insmod -f pwcx.o

For simplicity I use vgrabbj using
vgrabbj -i sif -l1 -f /mydirectory/web1.png
The L switch means update every second

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk