[Gllug] Re: [GLUG] Upgrading glibc

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jan 13 12:51:24 UTC 2003

On Mon 13 Jan Gareth Gregor wrote:
> > I have a old RH 6.2 box, and I need to upgrade glibc to version 2.2.x,
> > what's the easiest and safest way to do this. And this has to be done
> > remotely?
>
> There is allways rpm's, but, I personally would never do it that way, i
> would get the source and compile it my self, if you do it from source, use
> the make &> somename.log &  that way you can disconnet if you need to,
> also you can connect now and then and tail -f somename.log.

I'd use screen myself if doing this.

However, whoever told you not to do this remotely is probably right - at
least test it first on an identical local machine to make sure the ABI
change doesn't break something important on startup.

doug.

--
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF
Benidormo is made of glass and is where the devil famously had both of his