[Gllug] Install problems again

Sarah Ewen sarah at thaum.net
Fri Jan 10 05:06:22 UTC 2003

> And one other question: is anyone on this list using linux on a mac?
> I'm having trouble finding decent information about that. Main question
> is whether Linux-from-scratch will work on a G3 iMac.

Yup - I've been running Debian on my G3 iBook for ....er, nearly a year
I think. It rules.

I did an http install (in fact I re-installed the whole thing over this
Christmas holiday) and it works great: X, wireless networking,
keyboard... :)

If you follow the guidelines here, you can't really go wrong:
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html

You should absolutely use the BenH kernel if you want stuff to work.
Some advice...

There are two things you can't forget:

1. When configuring your (benh) kernel, do NOT select raw ADB keycodes.
It might seem like a good idea, but only if you want to log in as
"sswj". *bad*.
2. Don't forget 'append "sends_linux_keycodes=1"' when setting up yaboot
(lilo equiv.). Or you'll suffer the same fate and hate yourself for
hours fixing it. Explanation why:
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

On a slightly off topic note...when I re-installed recently I
re-installed Mac OS X too and switched back to HFS+ instead of UFS. Mac
OS X seems to be a *lot* happier running on HFS+..and some useful apps
like Palm Desktop require it.

Fink for Mac OS X is getting pretty complete these days too, which means
that even under Darwin you can easily run X with blackbox, or
enlightenment even if you're feeling crazy...with Gnome or KDE.
Installing it is almost too easy (even for us mac users, yeah yeah). And
it's all apt-getty. Sweet.

HTH,

Sarah.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk