[Gllug] backup solution

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Jul 9 15:34:15 UTC 2003

In message <20030709103127.27f44475.nutts at penguinmail.com>, Mark Hazell
<nutts at penguinmail.com> writes

>A quick question actually, I've thought that really I should encrypt my
>backups. Do other people do this, and if so what do they use?

I wouldn't do it unless I had a good reason.

A while back I was talking to the contractor who maintained my
employer's database systems. He told me that he had had a disk crash and
discovered that the only copy of his source files was encrypted and he
had lost the key.

Luckily he had an unencrypted copy elsewhere. After that little incident
I decided to keep a spare pair of brown trousers at work.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....