[Gllug] [OTish] SureStore DAT24

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:43:25 UTC 2003

Taylor James <James.Taylor at lbhf.gov.uk> writes:

> Taylor James wrote:
> > Simon A. Boggis wrote:
> >
> >> I assume you've done the usual and carefully checked SCSI IDs and
> >> termination (some devices are capable of terminating the chain, so
> >> you don't want to do it twice or not at all)? Seems unlikely it is
> >> that from your messages, but always worth a second look.
> >>

> > I'm not really sure about this. How can I tell if the drive is
> > terminating the chain or not (RTFM)? I just plugged it right in like
> > I would have done an IDE device. Is there something else I have to
> > do? I admit I know nothing as far as SCSI goes.
> >

> OK, I'm an idiot. Apparantly I need a SCSI terminator at the end of my
> cable. I had assumed that the drive would take care of this but apparently
> not. I can't seem to find the right one on ebay and they're £20 in Maplin
> which seems a bit steep to me. If anyone's got one spare to sell me, I'll
> probably be at the meet on Saturday.
>
> Sorry for wasting your time, and thanks for all your help,

There's a pretty good chance that there's a link on the back of the
drive itself to enable internal termination. Normally it's next to the
three/four links that set the SCSI ID. You *will* need to take the drive
out of the case to get at this though, so you might want to get the
manufacturers datasheet before you start.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk