[Gllug] backup solution

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 22:59:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 09:56, Jack Bertram wrote:
> * Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> [030709 00:02]:
> > > There's clearly a trade-off between price and quality.  That much is
> > > obvious.  However, for a personal machine I can hardly justify spending
> > > £1500 on backup.
> >
> > Depends entirely on how much your data is worth to you. If you lost it
> > all, what would the impact be?
>
> It's just happened (hence the shutting-the-stable-door).  However, I
> simply can't afford to spend enough to "do it properly".  I need to find
> a compromise.
>
> > > I don't need complicated kit, just something big enough to do the job.
> > > CDs would involve far too much of my time since 650Mb isn't enough to
> > > store a serious amount of data. Reliability is a concern but if I were
> > > after something mission-critical for my business, I wouldn't be skimping
> > > here.
> >
> > Backup systems aren't a good place to cut corners. If you don't care
> > enough to do it properly, why spend the cash at all? Back up the truly
> > vital stuff to CDR and don't bother with the rest. If you're going to
> > buy a backup system, spend the cash to get one that'll work properly.
>
> Fair enough.  Perhaps the question should have been more like "Given up
> to £250 to spend, what's the best backup solution I can buy?".  Sounds
> like a combination of CDRs and cheap tape will work best.

With those constraints, yes. You might want to look at some of the
non-SCSI tape drives out there - colorado tapes used to be cheap. For
£250, you can probably also pick up about 5 IDE hard disks, and a
removable disk caddy. You could do worse than just sticking a disk in,
and copying /home across to it periodically.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk