OT: The "missing" server (was Re: [Gllug] USB Securikey)

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 16:16:47 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 7:36 am, Matthew Thompson wrote:

> It seems that we're just as bad as the enemy for fud.
>
> Uptime is not just a function of the OS but also the hardware, software
> and machine load. At work we have an ALR Revolution box with 3 Pentium
> Pro 200Mhz processsors that has had uptimes for 6 months and more while
> running NT 4.0 and SQL 6.5 - more recently it has started to degrade
> but at 7 years old and having had a couple of swapouts for upgrades and
> having been moved between buildings I think the hardware is now on the
> way out.

I can assure you that the hardware isn't the issue (used to run XP perfectly
well(ish) - apart from the security issues).  The software was that which was
supplied (complete with ALL the patches) by M$, and the machine load was
virtually nil - it was set up as a test.

Uptime could usually be measured in minutes - it fell over with all sorts of
errors.  A reload of the old OS and software (as a reality check) proved
entirely successful.  WinServer 2003 simply isn't ready for release, and
retains many of the security issues of its' predecessors.  It's also huge and
slow compared to their earlier efforts....

They "Must try harder"!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk