Buying Old UNIX Machines [WAS: Re: [Gllug] For Sale - SGI O2+OriginServer (with prices)]

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Wed Jul 23 16:44:17 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> >> I want a 1990ish POWER based system or an original 1993 PowerPC 601.
> >> The reason is solely because I do not have one and want one. :-).
> > Common Hardware Reference Platform ????

There was another interesting specification which has dried up.
For the last 12 months I have been researching and tracking PowerPC
development from the original 601 through to the embedded 405s that I am
currently programming - I have a bunch of kit but none of the early stuff.

> > Would have run OS/2, NT and MacOS.

Should you like some amusement then take a look at how Microsoft had a
special provision made in the OpenFirmware PowerPC binding specification
that NT be loaded differently (they load at 2GB) and if anyone can explain
this sometime in the pub other than Redmond laziness I am interested.

> What??  These machines run AIX.

They run a lot of different stuff though I have no interest in anything
other than AIX, Linux and some of the code I have been developing.

> I think these computers are so worthless that noone can be bothered to
> sell them. (You're right. There aren't any on eBay).

Well perhaps but I would still like one. :-).

Jon.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk