[Gllug] BBC looking for campaigners

Dean Wilson dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Mon Jul 28 13:18:37 UTC 2003

Formi wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Richard Jones wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3092607.stm
>> Maybe we don't walk around with placards, but there are plenty of
>> issues at hand

Which angle would you play though? The cost to the public and the warped
way they solicit tenders would be a good underdog story "We went into this
school and reduced the IT departments budget spending by X. Look at the
happy little gits on the swings." with lots of great PR oppotunities for
photoshoots. Little smiling kiddies with giant Penguins and lizards.

Or would you go the business route of "We lose X opportunities each year to
contracts sent abroad, with open source you bring the work back." and the
"With these savings we can justify not sending all our work to
India/Russia/place of the week"?

SkyMoney did a program about five years ago on the benefits and those were
some of the benefits we[0] bought up. Although not the outsourcing one as
thats knew, so the interest is out there.

>  Why don't they do something useful and start with a campaign to
> abolish  the "TV License"?.

Bzzzzt. Offtopic. Loads of people are already fighting for this, google and
go join them.

If you mention money going towards babykilling i will hunt you down. :)

>  And don't tell me "BBC News" is great, mosts "news" are irrelevant
> and  have more to do with "the novelty of them" that anything worth
>  mentioning.

Simple answer: Don't like it, don't read/watch/listen to it. We have the
power of choice, grand ain't it.

  Dean
[0] I think it was Tushar, PaulN, Martin and myself interviewed.
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
--- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk